Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Legacy of a Humble Millionaire

Once upon a time, there was a man who lived an average life. Actually, by the description of the world, he was a little below average. He did not come from money and only had an 8th grade education … but he was a smart man. He got his GED when he was in the service and went on to LIVE his life. He outdid himself. (His son is one of my friends.)
At the time of this man’s death, he had gained the title of a multi-millionaire … but you would never know it. He maintained a simple life and kept his focus on God and his family. His money was never used to overindulge himself or his children … though they did not do without. They were given more opportunities than “things.” He kept it all in perspective and they learned about hard, honest work. They took good care of their things and used them until they were no longer usable. That lesson still sticks for my friend and his children.
This man taught many people all across the world about the true meaning of living life and the message of his Creator. Every piece of his equipment had a logo, “Jesus Christ is Lord.” It was not an option for the buyer to receive his product without the logo. He loved God and Jesus with all of his heart. His legacy was even whispered to me and I never had the blessing or opportunity to meet him.
Through this man and his life, he taught countless lessons. As far as tithing, he gave his share personally … AND from the business. He had been the inventor of a machine that makes the little dots of glue on your cereal boxes and the glue used for baby diapers.
His passing devastated his entire family in an unusually difficult way. It was in a tragic accident that took his life and his wife’s. In a split second, a mom, dad and 2 wonderful grandparents left this earth. What was the most impactful, valuable thing they left behind? It was a powerful legacy that can be seen radiating through their children and grandchildren. There are now 4 grown men and several grandchildren who have memories of great people, who they are from, etched within them forever.
I have never met a man such as this man, but my soul smiles to know he existed. I love to hear his words echoed through his son and see his spirit shine through his son and grandchildren. I know their pain is beyond measure regarding their loss; but their pride, honor and respect surpass it.
It makes me think. If I achieved such a success, could I stay so grounded? Could I remember where my blessings and I came from and give credit where credit is due?
It is so tempting and easy to take credit for massive accomplishments. My hope is to live as this man lived. To leave the best part of me on this earth so others may aspire to do the same. He took nothing of this world with him and I am sure that his family would take him and his wife above any of the earthly things they left behind. Yet, look what treasure they DID leave behind. It is as glorious and powerful as the air we breathe, though we cannot see it. We must have it to survive.
   This man could not and did not take any of his worldly things with him, but I choose to believe he took something. The love and blessings he shared and spread to many lives surely soar with him and his wife. They heard the words, "Good job, My faithful servants." 
    We are surely here to touch other's lives as they did, we were not meant to simply touch our own life.


Life is about more than a dollar,
Kasi

(The blog below was put up at the same time as this one …)

No comments:

Post a Comment