Sunday, October 9, 2011

Abortion PART III … A Poem About Abortion

(This email alert should come as the 1st of a 3 part blog. Read it last. I posted them backwards. They will read from top to bottom in order on the site.)
I wrote this in honor of my friend before I had even spoken with her about my daughter’s thoughts, or read the other poem. My heart was warmed to see the similarities in the two. I understand a soul sister a bit better now. Hopefully another person can too …


CHOICES
Many years ago there was a young girl
Who lived a life that was quite grand.
Everything seemed to go her way,
Just as she had planned.

She graduated and went to college;
Keeping true to the family plan.
Her parents stressed that her efforts,
Needed to be toward school, not a young man.

She always smiled in agreement,
Assuring, “I know, Mom and Dad.”
She upheld her expected status
And gave it all she had.

But, somewhere along the way,
Life threw a powerful curve.
She thought she had pondered deep enough
And simply needed to muster up the nerve.

She needed to do what was right,
No matter how difficult it may be.
She thought, “I have to think of everyone,
I cannot only think of me.”

Everything looked hopeless and scary
She had made a huge mistake.
Her fear of being harshly judged
Led her to the next decision she would make.

A miracle had been formed inside her,
But it felt more like a curse.
She thought of the truth coming out
And could imagine nothing worse.

No matter how hard she tried to consider
Allowing nature to take its course,
The fear overpowered all other feelings.
It became a powerful force.

In her mind, she began to talk
And explain it all away.
“Just do this, get it over.
Surely it will all simply go away.”

If she chose to have the baby
So many lives would be affected.
She knew making the decision would hurt her heart
But it would keep everyone else protected.

You know where the story goes from here
There’s no need to explain much more.
There is no history to the child,
And the mom was never the same as before.

She kept her secret to herself
Waiting for the pain to cease.
The brewing guilt and shame did the opposite
Causing the feelings to steadily increase.

There are many young ladies among us
Who have walked in these shoes.
They had no way to know or understand
All they would come to lose.

The voice of a mom without her baby
Holds pain in every word.
What can be done to help the situation?
Listen, and let her voice be heard.

She says:
I know the story about when Jesus said,
“Father forgive them, they know not what they do.”
One day I looked in the mirror and sobbingly said,
“One of those people He’s speaks of is you.”

For many years I carried this burden
Never telling another.
I hold back tears when I see a child your age
As she gives kisses to her mother.

I stole treasures from myself
And robbed my eyes of beautiful sights.
Falling victim to what seemed the only option
To calm my earthly frights.

How I wish I could turn back the hands of time
And rethink this decision I have made.
I long for memories to be erased
Or even for them to fade.

However, the past is in concrete
And cannot be undone.
But with all the love within me
I deeply love my daughter and son.

My love is the same for them
As for my children who are here.
I have dealt with my actions and choices,
But I still have a fear…

There is a special woman out there
Who is considering making the same choice.
I am now speaking for that little baby,
The one without a voice.

Think long and hard my friend
Before choosing to take this path.
It may seem like a good solution now,
But beware of its wrath.

There will come a day in time
When things will be visible in a new light.
Though things may seem impossible today …
I promise, tomorrow it will prove worth the fight.
© October 6, 2011
Kasi M Bryon


My friend and I have walked different paths, but together we send love and prayers for those who have made this decision, those who are considering it, those who will make it and those who have/will/do harshly judge. There is a fine line in hating the sin, not the sinner. The sinner often carries enough self-hate for all of us.
        I still do not have the answers to my daughter's original question. She, like all of us, must answer those questions for herself. Ultimately, the entire process has brought me full circle to seeing a lot more than I bargained for.  As for my daughter, she thanked me for keeping her when I was pregnant and informed me that she has a feeling she knows where she will focus her education. I assume she will get to the bottom of this ...

Pondering a touchy topic with love,
Kasi

1 comment:

  1. i don't know if your friend knows about this sight http://www.memorialfortheunborn.org/ but it is a great place to honor her babies & it's in chattanooga tn.

    ReplyDelete